Jim Cooper, Principal, Ascendent Leadership LLC
Jim Cooper is a seasoned leader and business executive with over 30 years of expertise in building and leading high performance teams. He is the founder and principal of Ascendent Leadership. Prior to Ascendent, Jim held senior leadership positions with the United States Air Force and the Hewlett-Packard Company. He is an adjunct instructor for the Jindal School of Management at the University of Texas at Dallas.
Jim works with front line leaders and high potential individual contributors to develop the leadership instincts, knowledge and skills they will need to serve their teams and enable their people to fulfill their potential and accomplish great things in their life and for their organizations.
Jim has worked with corporate giants such as Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, and General Electric, fast growing firms such as Red Hat Software, high profile educational institutions such as the Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University, and non-profit organizations such as the North Texas Food Bank.
Jim believes that world class leaders:
- Understand that true success “is not just about the numbers”
- Lead from a mindset of serving their teams and enabling their personal growth and success
- Set high standards of performance, and hold their teams accountable in a consistent, coaching style.
- Help their teams see their individual roles as critically linked to the success of the organizations mission, and the success of others that they care about within the organization
- Focus their teams on building the commitment to excellence and personal development actualization that make success a habit and truly sustainable over their lives and careers
- Create a sustainable coaching culture by broadly deploying coaching skills throughout their leadership ranks.
Jim focuses his practice in the following areas:
- Leadership development (Leadership Architect Framework from Korn/Ferry Lominger)
- Team effectiveness development (Team Architect framework from Korn/Ferry Lominger)
- Emotional Intelligence assessment and development (Multi-Health Systems EQ-i 2.0 framework)
- Assessment of personality type and effective functioning within and outside one’s natural personality (Pearman Personality Integrator)
- Critical thinking and clear communications (great questions and active listening)
- Coaching skills development for managers and leaders
- Executive coaching for enabling and accelerating personal development
Jim holds a BS in engineering and an MAT in science education from Cornell University, and an MS in engineering management from Northeastern University. He received his coach training from the graduate program in Executive and Professional Coaching at the Jindal School of Management at the University of Texas at Dallas. He is certified as a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) by the International Coach Federation.